Welcome Message

*** Feb 4, 2024: New post is up~! ***

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

[Tutorial] The Perfect Voluminous High Ponytail

Hi angels, I hope you're doing well. Since I posted this voluminous high ponytail look in a previous post, I've gotten a lot of compliments, questions, and requests for a tutorial on how I achieved it so I'll be sharing that with you today!
This is a fairly easy tutorial and would work with any hair type but I recommend that you do this with curls or waves as I think that looks the best  💖

I'm going to be doing this tutorial with my naturally straight hair so you can see things a bit better. Please excuse me for the makeup-less face as I wanted the hair to be the focus in this post!

You will need:

  • A brush or comb
  • 2 sectioning clips
  • 2 hair ties
  • (optional) a small claw clip like the ones pictured below

Let's get started!

Step 1

Section out your bangs and face framing pieces. Usually this is a triangle in the front of your head, with the 2 edges ending around your temple area.

Step 2

Next, you're going to section out the top of your head using your ear as a guide. The circle highlighted here is where your ponytail is going to sit. This is the most universally flattering spot to tie your hair up to. Of course you are free to tie it higher than this point (I usually do) but try not to tie it lower or it won't look as nice!

Step 3

Once you clip that section out of the way you should be left with 3 distinct sections. Take the bottom section (circled in pink) and tie that up into a pony tail as high as you can.
It should look something like this. Don't mind that it has a little bit of a bump on the underside by my neck in this pic, I didn't tie mine very tight here (that elastic actually ended up snapping and I couldn't find another one 😭)

Step 4

There's 2 ways for you to go about this step. I personally go with method 2 as the first one doesn't work for my hair but I'll write about it so you can try it for yourself!

Method 1
  • Take the top section and tie it into a ponytail as high as you want, keeping in mind the circled area in step 2)
  • You can either tease your two ponytails or add in a little butterfly claw clip in the middle of the bottom pony.
i don't have one of these clips so taking this pic
 from google as an example. here she put it in the middle
of the whole ponytail as she only tied 1 but it's the same idea just
put it in the second/lower one for this tutorial
  • Bring the lower ponytail up and tie it into a big ponytail with the top section
Method 2
  • Instead of creating a new pony with the top section, you're just going to tie it with the low pony as high as you can into one big pony tail. You can feel free to tease your lower pony or the top section of the hair for more volume but I didn't do that here for the sake of clearer pictures
  • Tie it as high as you want but remember the circled area in step 2. I didn't tie mine high enough here but you get the idea 😅
A big tip for doing this step if you want a more voluminous look is to make sure you're not brushing down the hair on the top and sides of your head too tightly. You don't want the hair too pressed against your scalp or you'll get more of a sleek finish like the picture below

Step 5

Style your bangs and face framing pieces and you're done! Again this looks better with curled or wavy hair imo. You won't be able to see the bottom pony like this if you tie it high and tightly and the extra volume from your curls/waves will help hide it as well!
That's it, you're done! You're free to play around with it some more, tease it, tie it higher, etc until you are happy with the way it looks. I recommend using a scrunchie or decorative tie to make it extra cute and pretty! ✨
I hope you liked this and found it helpful. I apologize if this is not very good as hair tutorials are not really my forte 😓 You can check out this video tutorial to see someone do this in motion if you're having trouble!

Please let me know if you have any questions about this and I'll try my best to help you 💖

Thank you for reading and I'll see you in my next post~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought of this post! ♡

Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake