Welcome Message

*** Feb 4, 2024: New post is up~! ***

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

How I Achieve a Gyaru Eye

 

Hiya! You're probably surprised to see this blog get updated lol. I'm sorry for disappearing again ^^;; I guess I didn't have it in me to continue blogging while I sorted out my work and personal life. I can't promise that this time will be any different but now that we're entering almost 200 days of working from home due to COVID I have found myself itching to make new content.

I've also picked up gyaru again because old habits die hard so I'm going to be sharing content related to that once more!

I was asked to give some makeup tips on how I achieve my gyaru eye shape so I'll be sharing my tips and findings here today. I hope you find this helpful!

I'm not one for tutorials so this would be the closest thing I can come up with. I'm sorry if this gets a little long and ramble-y but I hope the pictures are helpful visuals! I'll share some pictures of my old makeup attempts vs now so you can see we all start somewhere 😅

My best overall tips for anyone are:

  • Experiment with your eye shape

  • Look at models or makeup ig accounts that share similar features as you so you can copy it easier (if you're having trouble finding inspo pick a model you like and look at the suggested accounts or accounts that they follow!)

  • Take inspo from all different forms of makeup application and use those techniques/skills as needed. For example, I found the Korean way of accentuating the aegyo-sal (eyebags) is really good for the inner highlight for gyaru so I adopted that technique when doing that part of my gyaru make.

  • My nose contour is done with a stick product (Fenty Match Stix in Amber) and sometimes I top that up with a powder! I find it applies better than just powder but it definitely stands out a lot in person so if you want a more natural look and not for HD photos I would just do powder a little more heavy handed than using the cream stick and powder combo

  • My eye droop is the result of a lot of experimenting over the years, I've tried a lot of different lash combos and eye shapes to get to where I'm at today. I find that the eye shape is something that changes with my overall style and it's just something you have to keep practicing at!

Here is an image of my naked eye without lens or makeup. As you can see it's not really a conventional gyaru eye shape on it's own (my eyelid folds weird in the front so I don't really have a natural inner corner point) and my eyes are overall kinda round/beady and short in length. To give myself that gyaru look I have to elongate them but not so much enlarge them as that does not fit the proportions of my face well 
After experimenting I found there were 3 key parts of your makeup that determines your eye shape:
  1. Main liner (dark blue)
  2. Inner corner (light blue)
  3. Droop (pink)

For me these elements are anchors for the others and the shape will change depending on how the others are applied.

So in this pic, you can see that I can draw my main liner downwards in the usual gyaru puppy eye droop and in order to balance that out the inner corner will take a more straight approach as opposed to downwards (first arrow on the left vs the arrow next to it). This provides my eye with balance so it's not a long droopy downwards wide eye. I usually don't take this approach as I like the wing so if I wing it out then I will have to adjust the other elements to fit this shape.

For the inner corner I have 2 styles (#1 and #2 pink line in the image):

  1. Defines the inner corner so it makes the inner corner more sharp
  2. Gives the eye more fullness and provides an anchor for the droop (#3 in the picture)

I usually do not apply both 1 and 2 styles at the same time, it's one or the other unless it's a super dark and smoky look

Pink line #3 in the image is the gyaru eye droop. It follows the same rule as the main liner/inner corner in that the direction it's drawn/the direction the lower lashes are applied on this line have to compliment the other shapes I've already defined on my eye.

Here are some examples of my older attempts vs my more recent makeup looks!

2014-2015
2020
You can see my lash application got better and I have a better handle of my eye shape (my lower lashline's line doesn't move around as much as it did in previous attempts because I've found a shape that suits me well)
I hope this was helpful and don't feel bad if you can't get it right away, a lot of my more serious attempts started in and around 2014/2015 so that's taken me 6-7 years now to get it looking the way it is!

I took a lot of breaks in between and just experimented with my style in general but overall I'm happy with how I've grown and I think that anyone can accomplish a style they are proud of as long as they put ample time and effort into it 🥰

Please let me know if you have any questions about this or finding your eye shape in general. I will do my best to help you 💖

As always, thank you for reading and supporting this pet project of mine! I hope to bring more content like this in the future~ 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought of this post! ♡

Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake