Welcome Message

*** Feb 4, 2024: New post is up~! ***

Sunday, September 12, 2021

๐Ÿ’• GAL 109 Meme - Blogging Challenge ๐ŸŒบ

Hey angels! I hope you're doing well. Today I decided to try out the GAL 109 meme blogging challenge to celebrate gyaru 109 month. If you'd like to participate, you can find the template on Reila's blog as well as all the event details that are planned for the next month! 
  1. Name / Gyaru nickname and country
    My name is Olivia and I go by Seirren (s-air-en) or Sei (say) in online spaces. It's not a gal specific nickname but rather my online handle that I use to play games with. It sort of stuck since I use it on discord and now I just use it for everything when I don't want to use my real name (because I don't like it much). I'm based in Canada.
  2. When did you get into gyaru?
    I didn't have the courage to really dive into gyaru until around 2012(?) or so and when I did I was primarily interested in roma/himekaji with a little bit of dabbling in agejo and rokku. I couldn't really figure out how to get gyaru to work for me and a lot of things started to happen in my personal life at the time, so I took a big break from gal around 2014(?) and didn't seriously get back into it until 2020. I would consider everything before 2020 my baby gal phase.

    here's a fun timeline of my makeup
    (click or open in new tab to see a larger view)
  3. How did you discover the style?
    I discovered gyaru through lolita (I was interested in it but didn't want to get into it as it did not suit my lifestyle) and Ageha magazine when I was 16/17 (around 2008-2009). Ageha is my favorite gal magazine and I used to read scans online all the time for nail/deco ideas!
  4. What's your current substyle? Why do you like it?
    I don't like to label myself in any sort of substyle but I tend to lean more into mature, sexy or cooler styles. If I had to pick some sort of a gyaru tag I'd probably just call myself a 
    ็™ฝใ‚ฎใƒฃใƒซ (shiro gyaru aka a gal that doesn't tan... because I can't. I just burn lol)
  5. What are your current booms? 
    I'm currently really obsessed with that rich aunt who travels all the time and isn't sure why her husband died aesthetic (IYKYK) lol. In gyaru terms that probably translates to something like, onee, serebu, and ane? Idk I don't like to use labels on myself because I don't feel like I really fit into any of them and I'm not really gonna force myself into something I'm not 100% on. TBH I just want to be gal in my own way and I'm still discovering what that means for me.

    Here are some examples of my current boom/vibe:
  6. Share 3 of your fav codes. Why do you like them so much?
    This is one of the first outfits I ever put together when I started out. The dress is offbrand from Hong Kong and the boots are replica Liz Lisa. I liked this outfit a lot because it was the first time I really felt gal. Prior to this I only practiced the makeup and did really simple hairstyles (mostly curls and braids). Finally having a whole outfit to put together with the hair and makeup (even though they were bad) made me feel like I took a huge step in the right direction.
    This is one of my more recent outfits and I really like it because of how comfortable it is. I used to think that being uncomfortable was part of the experience but I think that was just me being inexperienced and not understanding how to find comfort in my outfits. Jacket is my bf's, top and boots from SHEIN, shorts are from fashion nova, and bag is from coach.
    jacket: my bf's
    top & boots: SHEIN
    shorts: fashion nova
    bag: coach
    This outfit really captures my current boom and again, I like it because it's something that's comfortable to wear but looks really put together. I don't really like big or chunky accessories so I feel like this kind of style suits me best because I prefer dainty or fine jewelry!
    top & skirt: secondhand
    cardigan: MA*RS
    bag: fashion nova
    shoes: chuu
  7. Share 3 things your learned during your Gyaru journey.
    A lot of people lack basic reading comprehension (lol) and in general, a majority of the gaijin community don't want to put in the effort to be gyaru. This is especially true of newbies nowadays. As a result, these people will most likely try to discourage you, pick you apart over every little thing, and talk shit about you behind your back/start drama. It's best to not focus on these people or the spaces they use for these things and just pour more effort into improving your skills and looks.

    Eyebrows are so fucking important to your overall look man. Please do your eyebrow makeup. This is not a request.

    You don't need to wear brand head to toe to be considered gal. As long as you have the makeup, hair & nails, and in general look very well put-together, you can be visibly recognized as gyaru. 
  8. Share 3 gaijin gals and 3 Japanese gals you look up to.
    I don't know that I really look up to anyone but here are some gals that I really respect, either in their dedication to their style or their overall attitude towards the community and their peers.
    Lyon - blog link
    Ray - blog link
    Kohi - blog link
    Emi - Honorable mention! She's not gyaru anymore but I really adored her style, especially her ora ora and amekaji phases. I honestly loved all the styles she tried and I will miss seeing her gal looks a lot ๐Ÿ˜ญ

    Some Japanese gals that I really like for their style and makeup:
    Chopa
    Erimokkori
    Mahiru
    Parupochi - Honorable mention!

    Kei - Honorable mention!
  9. What's your favorite Gyaru memory?
    Meeting Mando for the first time and becoming really good friends with them over the years! I also recently got noticed by some Japanese gals on instagram for trying out their makeup so that was very validating and cool experience. 
  10. What advice would you give to people who want to start in the style but doesn't have the courage yet? 
    If you really want it that bad, just fucking do it. Stop making excuses and putting yourself down. Get off your ass, do your research, practice whenever you can and get feedback from the community to improve. Being gyaru is a constant learning process and you can't be afraid of fucking up or what other people will think of you. A huge part of gyaru is finding yourself and not giving a fuck about what others might think about that process. It's not a race, and some people will take longer to get to a place in gyaru where they will be happy with their look so just trust the process and always look to improve! The biggest thing is to just start though because you can't improve on nothing.

Thank you for reading! I hope this was a fun and interesting post for you to get to know me a little bit through. I'll chat with you again really soon! ๐Ÿ’•

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought of this post! ♡

Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake