Welcome Message

*** Feb 4, 2024: New post is up~! ***

Monday, April 11, 2022

How to Strip Hair Color at Home 👱🏻‍♀️✨

 
Hi angels! I hope you're doing well today. I finally got my hair colored, as some of you might've seen on my other socials, but today I wanted to share a short tutorial on how you can strip your demi/semi-permanent hair color at home to prepare for your salon visit or next color.

This is not a completely necessary step for you to do as your stylist will probably be able to bleach out your remaining color, however if you're doing your own hair at home and you like to color your hair often, this is a nice step to remove the extra pigments so you have a more even and clean slate for your next color. 

Note that this only works to remove 1 layer of color for the most part. In this instance I have a purple over pink so the treatment will remove the purple and I'm left with the pink underneath. I could've probably done it again to help get some of the pink out but my stylist said it was ok and she could work with it. 

[Disclaimer]: I have a background and education in cosmetology but I am not a licensed professional. What works for me may not work for you, try this at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your hair if you choose to follow this tutorial.
Here's what my hair looks like before the treatment:
I was awful and just put this color on top of the hot pink I had before, please for the love of god do not do what I did bc that was super Bad News Bears for my stylist lmao. I'll show you how bad it was in my next post when I talk about my salon visit, for now I'll just focus on removing this purple.

What Do You Need?

The ingredients for this treatment are pretty easy to get ahold of, the only thing that may be difficult would be the developer but you can find some on Amazon or your local beauty supply store.

You will need:
  • 10vol developer 
  • baking soda
  • purple shampoo
  • conditioner/conditioning mask
The ratio at which you mix this should be 1 part dry to 1 part wet ingredients, with your developer being the bulk of the liquid part. Example mixture:
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1/3 cup developer
  • 1 tablespoon conditioner/conditioning mask
  • 1 teaspoon purple shampoo
Play around with this until you get a similar consistency to frosting/icing. You want it to be viscous enough to spread onto your hair but not dripping. You can add more baking soda as needed to thicken it up.

Application & Processing Time

Apply the treatment onto dry hair, working in small sections so you can evenly saturate all of your hair. Once it has been applied, leave on for 30-45 minutes and then rinse well. Repeat as necessary to get the desired result. 

Note that this is not as powerful as bleach so you will not get the same results as using bleach. What this treatment does is swell your hair up and push up the cuticle layer of your hair shaft allowing the color molecules to be released and washed away. It is less damaging than bleach but doesn't work as well so you may need to do multiple treatments (but no more than 3 imo as it can be very drying).

Dry and condition thoroughly after your treatment. I highly recommend using a hair oil and/or a leave in conditioning treatment daily for a week afterwards.
Here's what my hair looks like after 1 round of the treatment:
As you can see it removed most of the purple (I say most because I actually missed some spots in the back but I didn't find out until I got to the salon and my stylist showed me lol 😅), but the pink is still very pigmented. The grey on the top layers came out well so the top of my hair was mostly blonde which was what I had before I put the grey on top. 

Normally I would probably do another round of the treatment but my stylist said it was ok so I didn't. If I were doing a color on myself again I would definitely do another round to get as much of the pink out as possible!
That's all for this post, thank you always for stopping by and reading. I hope you found this helpful 🥰

See you again soon~ 💖


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought of this post! ♡

Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake