Welcome Message

*** Feb 4, 2024: New post is up~! ***

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

๐Ÿ’• [Point Focus] Eyebrows ๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿป‍๐Ÿซ


Hey angels, welcome to the first post of my new blog mini-series "Point Focus". In this series I'll be taking a closer look at key points in my gyaru makeup and explaining things like how I do it, why I do it and what I'm trying to achieve with it, so that hopefully you can go through the same process for yourself!

Today I'm going to talk about eyebrows. A lot of newbies tend to have a very difficult time styling their brows to go with their gyaru makeup but it's actually really easy to get them on point once you recognize and identify your goal. Let me show you how~

What Kind Of Brows Do You Want?

There's lots of different eyebrow styles out there and while you're free to choose whatever style fits your face, it's most common to see straight brows, classic arched brows or roach brows in gyaru (see this post for more examples). My best advice is to try each out and see how you like them, you can either do this by using filters or editing them on to your face if you can't just draw them on.
some examples from magazines
For me, I have naturally bushy and kind of triangular shaped brows. I ended up going in for a very bad threading/wax job when I was in high school and they never grew back the same so I trimmed them super short and drew them really thin and arched. I kept them that way for years until I got them microbladed in late 2017. I did this because I didn't know what shape suited me best so I let a professional map and measure them out. I've more or less stuck with that shape ever since.
Sported my natural brows until 2014. Got them threaded/waxed in
2012-2013 then I started trimming them and drawing them Too Thin.
Got them microbladed in late 2017 and continued filling them in the same shape

How Do I Achieve the Brows You Want?

Once you identify the style of brows you want, achieving them is going to be different for each person. For most people, this process will likely involve trimming or even shaving parts of the brow completely to give yourself the space to redraw them. It's also important to know your skin type so you can use the products that work the best for you.

If You Have Full Thick Brows

If you find yourself with full and thick natural brows you may be able to get away with just trimming them and using brow mascara or pencils to fill them in if the shape is already close to what you'd like. Example:
If the shape isn't what you want, most gals like to keep the front trimmed into a little nub and shave off the end so they can redraw it into a more suitable shape:

If You Don't Have a Workable Brow Shape

If you can't seem to work your natural brow shape into something that is suitable for gal, then you are more than likely going to have to shave the whole thing off or shave off the end and keep the front very very short so you can draw on a new shape. Example:

What Do You Need to Achieve the Brows You Want?

Like I mentioned before, the products you need to achieve your desired brow will vary from person to person. Once you know your base brow type (shaved, trimmed, or naturally groomed) as well as your skin type, you'll have a better idea of what products you'll need to accomplish your brow goals.

Some common products used are:
  • Brow powders (like eyeshadow but for your brows)
  • Pomades (like gel liner but for your brows)
  • Brow pens (like liquid liner but for your brows)
  • Pencils (usually has a waxy consistency compared to pencil liners)
  • Wax/Soap 
  • Brow mascara 
Personally I have combo/oily skin and although I have my brows microbladed, I haven't had them touched up in a long time and I keep my sparse natural brow hairs trimmed short. For these reasons, my tried and true method for doing brow makeup is using a brow pen, then powder, then a pencil. Sometimes I let my brows grow out a little bit and during those times I'm able to just use a brow mascara and pen to get the look I want. 

I used to only use a pencil and/or powder but the oils from my makeup and skin tend to break these products down throughout the day and cause my brows to fade or get wiped away over time lol

How I Do My Brows

Here's a small little tutorial on how I do my brows. I really like the natural arch shape my brow technician gave me so I follow that as best as I can. Some days I arch it more or straighten it out as I like but the products I use stay the same.

Step 1

I do my brows after I do all my base makeup (though I'm recycling the pic below so it's showing my bare face). My first step is to get a spoolie and brush out my brows so that they are free of excess skincare and base products. This will help the brow products stay better and get all the hairs facing the way I want

Step 2

Using a brow pen I block out the shape of my brows and very roughly fill them in.

Step 3

Next I go in with a brow powder palette to soften the shape I just made. Starting from the outer tail, I use the dark color then use the medium color for the middle and the lightest color for the front. Applying a gradient of product gives your brow more dimension and prevents it from looking like a brick of color on your face.

If you've got a little more brow hair than me you are free to leave them like this, but it still lacks definition for me so I go for one more step.

Step 4

The powder brushed out a lot of the definition from step 2 so I like to finish my brows off with a pencil to add some hair strokes to give it a bit more of a natural look. If you have more hair than me you might be able to use a brow mascara for this step!

After I apply the pencil I blend it out a bit by brushing my brows through with the spoolie again. They're a bit darker here and kind of hard to see the hair strokes I drew so here's a better pic to show you what they usually look like when they're done:
If you don't have a predetermined shape to work with, once trim your natural brows down and have a workable base just practice drawing on different shapes until you find the one you like best! If you don't want to commit to shaving or trimming your brows yet, you can always block them out and draw new ones on top to experiment. Try to find reference photos of people who have similar brows to you/your goals and copy those as best you can.

Summary

To summarize, these are the key points to take away from this post:
  • Know your brow goals and skin type
  • Groom your natural brows to give yourself a good base to work with
  • Use products suited for your skin type that compliment your brow base
  • Experiment with different shapes to find one that suits you
  • Use references of people with brows you have/want

I hope you found this post helpful and informative. Thank you so much for reading and stay tuned for the next installment of this mini-series! 

Have a lovely day ๐Ÿ’–

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought of this post! ♡

Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake