Welcome Message

*** Feb 4, 2024: New post is up~! ***

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Tutorial: How to Re-curl a Non-heat Resistant (Synthetic) Wig

Why hello! I bet you weren't expecting a post like this in your reading list today! I was really bored and had a whole day of free time so I decided to cut and re-curl one of my wigs, and even try my hand at some sujimori (pic spam at the end!). I only own two at the moment and I haven't worn them much because of how out of shape they are.

When I got them they were quite tangled, but I did manage to brush the tangles out... along with most of the curl FML. I tossed them aside and just forgot about them until I came across some videos/articles about re-curling them. Huzzah! My wigs are saved!

In this tutorial I'll explain to you the procedure I used. There will be lots of pictures to guide you along the way. This works with synthetic hair extensions as well!

Please note that I'm not responsible for any damage that may occur to your wigs if you choose to follow this tutorial incorrectly. ***I am not a wig expert. If you are nervous/unsure of yourself then I suggest you try smaller sections first until you get comfortable working with large sections. Use your best judgement.
Things you need:
  • A wig (obviously) or synthetic hair extentions
  • A brush/comb
  • Some clips and bobby pins/small clips
  • A curling iron in your diameter of choice (I believe mine is 1.5 inches; the bigger the iron the looser the curl)
  • A spray bottle filled with water
  • Hairspray (optional)
  • A lot of patience. I'm serious, this could feel like an eternity if you have a super long wig.
So first I'll show you what the wig looks like before I started. I had cut a few layers in this before but not a lot and they're not very short so you can't really tell.
Step 1:
Brush out your wig and part the hair into small sections (just like you would if you were curling your own hair). You want to make sure it's as tangle free as you can possibly get it before starting.

Step 2:
Take a small section of hair (about 1 inch or so) and spray it with water. You don't want it to be dripping wet, you just want it to be damp. Make sure you spray evenly and don't forget to spray the ends as well. You can also run your comb through after you've sprayed the hair to make sure it is tangle free.
My freakishly long section.
Feel free to take bigger or smaller sections, depending on what you're comfortable working with/look you're trying to achieve. Be aware that the curling time will change depending on your thickness of section.

*Step 3 (SUPER CRITICAL YOU READ AND FOLLOW THIS CORRECTLY):
It's time to curl the damp hair. Make sure you set your iron to the LOWEST possible setting. In my case, I set the heat level to "1". Curl the hair, but be quick; don't take too long trying curl the ends before rolling your iron all the way up the section. Hold the hair for about 15-30 seconds, depending on the thickness of your section. It is extremely important that you do not exceed 30 seconds on the iron as you may burn/melt the hair.

Step 4:
Slowly drop the curl out of your iron. Don't unwind it, try to keep it curled. Make sure the entire section is rolled up to the base and pin it like in the picture below:
Keep going until your whole wig is done up in pin curls like so (I left out the top section because I was going to cut it):
Step 5:
Let your pin curls sit for at least 15 minutes before undoing them. This should give them enough time to dry and set. You can spray them with hairspray at this point if you like, but I didn't.

Step 6:
It's time to unwrap and style your wig! Be gentle and try not to tug at the curls too hard as you may warp the shape. Now you can lightly brush out the curls so that they don't look so chunky and apply hairspray to set your new do!
Ta-daa!
Look at those bouncy curls!
Here's how my wig turned out after I cut the top layers for sujimori. It was my first try so it's not perfect, but I had a lot of fun doing it ^__^
The back~
That wraps up this tutorial! I hope you liked it and found it helpful. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Let me know how your wigs turn out! Happy curling~
Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake