Welcome Message

*** Sept 4, 2024: New post is up~! ***

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

[Old Post] Dineout Vancouver 2016

Hello hi I'm still alive! I hope you guys are well. I'm just going through my backlog and pushing out these long overdue posts now so please bear with me. Every year, we have a food festival in January where restaurants set up custom menus for you to sample their best dishes. This year, the menus were priced at $20, $30, and $40. I didn't really make the most of this event in previous years, but this year I went all out. I visited 6 lovely restaurants, some were a little disappointing, but overall I had a great experience.
The first one I went to was Miku. It's a very popular Japanese restaurant here. I was a bit disappointed by the portion sizes but everything was incredibly delicious. Catherine came with me to this one too so it was nice to catch up. Unfortunately we didn't take a picture together :(

Next stop was Sai Woo. It's right outside of Chinatown and it turns out one of my good high school friends worked there! He made sure we had a great dinner and we were not disappointed at all.
My makeup for that night:
The next place I went to was Forage. I heard a lot of good things about this restaurant so I was excited to try it. My friend's dad works as a chef there too so that was kind of a neat coincidence. The man cooks a mean salmon. If you've never had bison carpaccio then oh my god you're missing out in life.
Next stop was Kobe for teppanyaki! I've always passed by this place but I was put off from the way it looked on the outside. It looked really expensive so I never thought about eating there. I'm glad I was able to try it though because it was super tasty!!
If you've never been to a teppanyaki place I really recommend you try it once. It's kinda gimmicky but it's pretty entertaining if you go with a big group of people! 

This next place was super disappointing. I went with a group of good friends from elementary school. We had planned a last minute dinner at this place called Chewies. The menu sounded okay it was a lot of seafood/New Orleans style food. The service was really slow and the food was subpar at best. We all ended up getting sick the next day too so I was pretty upset with this experience. Food poisoning is the worst!
Our last stop was a cute little French restaurant called Bistro Pastis. I heard good things about this place too but I don't think the experience lived up to the hype. It was still a nice dinner though!
There was also a hot chocolate festival going on around the same time as Dineout, so of course we had to get in on the yummy cocoa specials!
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate!
I don't remember what this was
but it was a dark chocolate cocoa
Overall I was pretty satisfied with my dineout experience. I've never eaten at so many nice restaurants before since money was so tight. It felt really nice to just go out and have a nice dinner with friends. If you happen to be in town, I highly recommend you check some of these places out! They're well worth the trip, I promise.

Anyways, that's all for this post. Sorry it took so long to get this out! Catch you next time~
Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake